Wednesday

To theme or not to theme

When I'm creating an invitation for an event near or on a holiday, the first thing clients ask me is if it's 'tacky' to incorporate a theme. My answer is no, not tacky at all. However, my answer comes with stipulations -- as long as the theme doesn't overpower the mood of the event itself. Recently I made wedding invitations for a client who was getting married on St. Patricks day. It was a traditional/black tie event where doing anything too bold wouldn't have been in keeping with the occasion. I opted for a green paisley printed paper with charcoal grey lettering on a white tri-fold enclosure (don't be afraid to use white - it's fresh and clean!) Along with using the color green for the theme I made a simple four leaf clover seal for the front. The invitation was consistent with the formality of the event but also had a splash of St. Patricks Day too...




Here are a few of my inspirations for this piece...






And of course...